Skip to main content

Diwali in Mandi!

This was a complete unplanned trip! We got around 4-5 days off for Diwali and most of us girls decided to stay and sulk in hostel, except the ones staying in Himachal. Friday morning, Vidisha shakes me up from my sleep and says, " Pack your bags! We are going to Mandi!" I was half asleep when she dragged me down to the office to get the outpass form( I didn't even brush!) We came back, did all the morning chores, and started packing. Our bus left at 12:30. We reached just in time, one minute late and we would have missed it. And what a journey it was! It took 5 hours to reach Mandi, with me gasping the entire time seeing the picturesque hills and valleys. The step(or terrace) farming they do in hilly terrains look so beautiful, you just can't take your eyes off them!

view on the way to Mandi

Mandi is situated in a valley through which the river Beas flows. The town in situated on either side of the peaceful river. Mandi has 81 temples which also gives it another name-Chhoti Kashi. The time constraint prevented me from visiting even a single temple. I just got an outer glimpse of a few. Well this was just the first visit, there are going to be a lot more!

 the Beas river meandering through the valley

Vidisha's family was welcoming. Seeing them all together I missed my own family but the love and care I received from them never made me miss mine so much. They treated me as their own and I'll always be grateful to them. Aunty made such yummy delicacies, makke ki roti and sarso ka saag, muli ka paratha, then the usual curry and rice...yummm

with Vidisha :)

We also made diwali rangolis :) Lighted lamps and ate too many barfis! 

Vidisha made this one. It looked beautiful as is visible. 
And we used rice! Mixed color in rice and made it! 
Never knew it could come out so well! :)

the one that I made.

Then we went to the main bazaar area in Mandi and Vidisha was pointing out all the famous shops and hangout places. And the way she was describing them, such an excited manner with that twinkle in her eyes like a child with pink cheeks. :) She took me to the Victoria bridge that connects the purani(old) Mandi to the new one. Its a very old bridge. We could literally feel it shaking when vehicles passed by!

at the Victoria Bridge.


Had a nice "family time" with the Barwals I would say! :) Truly a memorable trip...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Next Door

They were best friends since kindergarten, Playing with mud and dogs in the garden, He pulled her hair and tripped her everywhere, She just stood there and stared; Her wide button like eyes, Trying to figure out his mischievous guise, His round chubby hands, Working out his new plans. She would help him with homework and lend him notes, He would tease her all day until he got bored, Then a day came by, When he looked her in the eye, And told her why, He had fallen high, For a girl he couldn’t deny. And as her eyes glittered with joy, She found him turn around and coy, Not to the smile that stood in front of him, But the one that three rows apart shimmed. He confessed his love and made her swore, The best friend remained true to her core, She just remained, The Girl Next Door. 

A never ending ordeal...

She was walking with him, a familiar face, a face that made her blush, his name always brought a smile to her face. They were climbing up the staircase now; it was spring below. She saw ice flowers; having no clue how they existed there. She was sure they did not belong there; she knew the place too well.  Frost started covering the steps, invading beautifully from the top most level. It stopped the moment it reached her untied shoelace. It troubled her so she glanced up to look at him. He was still smiling at her covering her cold hands in his warmness . His smile always charmed her, the crease on her forehead released on seeing his face. They reached their destination.  She always wanted to show him that place, the place that had seen most of her childhood. Every thing was exactly as she remembered it to be, even the wild shrubs remained the same size. The house looked abandoned as it did when her family moved away. The place remained untouched, as if time never effected it. Onl

Someone...

I may not be as smart as you, Or as brilliant as you. I may not be the leader you expect me to be, Nor can I inspire the world like you do. I may not earn the respect that you found, Or the success that your elder daughter reaped. I may never reach that zenith of dedication, I may not be what you expected of me. But why sugar coat? Perhaps, I am none of these things. Not smart enough. Not dedicated enough. Not successful enough. I am none of these things. But I choose to believe, I am more than them. I am someone who endures all that is thrown at her. Someone who has actually seen failure. Someone who has fell. Someone, who has herself learnt to get up. Someone who cries herself to sleep, Only to wake up the next day and help you smile. Someone who longs to see your eyes full of pride, Even when you refuse to look at her. I am someone who has found light in the shadows. I reach beyond the confines of your expectations. I am more t